The RHS Rehab Department, partnered with Rock Valley Physical Therapy, offers the LSVT BIG Program. LSVT BIG is a research based exercise approach developed from the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD. LSVT stands for Lee Silverman Voice Treatment, a treatment that has recently been extended to address limb motor systems.
The program is not only beneficial for Parkinson’s patients, but also for individuals with impairments following a stroke or with Multiple Sclerosis. LSVT Big will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life!
The Science Behind LSVT BIG
The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 25 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson’s disease following treatment including:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility
- Improved UPDRS Motor Score
What does the treatment consist of?
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol, which is customized to the unique goals of each patient including both gross and fine motor skills. It consists of 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks.
- Individual 1 hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
How does LSVT BIG work?
- Trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movements)
- Drives intensive and high-effort practice
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- Empowers power with PD with their potential to improve!
Call the RHSHC Rehab Department at 563-547-6361 to schedule or learn more.