COMMITMENT TO QUALITY AND SAFETY
At Regional Health Services of Howard County (RHSHC), our daily commitment to our patients, employees and community is to provide quality and safe care. Our commitment is evident in the following continuous efforts we sustain.
We regularly re-certify our services and facilities through the Iowa Department of Public Health. The most recent examination from October 2022 found the facility to be in substantial compliance with all rules and regulations. We participate with the Iowa Hospital Association Quality Reporting Program and continue to compare well, confirming that we are competitive with other Critical Access Hospitals throughout the state in delivering high-quality health care.
RHSHC supports a team approach for continuous quality improvement efforts. We have reaffirmed our commitment with allocation of resources that support a formal quality improvement and safety committee team structure. The Quality Committee encompasses all departments of RHSHC and continuously strives for improvements at all levels. The Safety Committee is comprised of personnel from multiple disciplines within the service lines of RHSHC. Utilization of our electronic health record further improves patient safety by checking for drug interactions and using “order sets” based on “best practices”.
RHSHC focuses its quality efforts around national and state priorities and reporting our participation with those best practice measures related to various medical diagnoses such as pneumonia, heart attacks and congestive heart failure. The following organizations provide guidelines that form the backbone of the work we carry out to help ensure our patients receive quality care:
Service excellence is a journey. If there were to be a final goal, every employee and every encounter would be based on RHSHC’s five values: Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Teamwork and Innovation.
RHSHC measures and monitors service through many facets. We solicit patient feedback by randomly sending surveys via mail, text, or email. Survey responses are confidential as a private research firm (Press Ganey) tabulates them. The combined results of the survey responses help us make positive changes to our services, processes and facilities. We take all responses seriously and strive to provide a five-star rating.
Comments from recent surveys include:
- “I was taken very good care of from the time I walked in the door until the time I left.”
- “I had a very good experience at your Emergency Room Department. I am very thankful to have an ER so close. The doctor on call did a wonderful job on stitching up my wound. The nurses were exceptionally kind and friendly to both me and my wife. I would highly recommend your ER to others.”
- “My 3 year old daughter was terrified to go to the ER for stitches. Dr. Jensen was wonderful with her and made her feel completely at ease. He went above and beyond. I will recommend the Cresco ER to all my friends and family.”
- “My labor and delivery experience at RHSHC was wonderful! The nurses, physicians, and staff were very kind and accommodating. I look forward to continuing care at RHSHC, and having another labor and delivery at RHSHC in the future.”
- “I am glad that we have RHSHC, the doctors and staff are very good, and it’s handy to get there!”
- “Whenever possible, this is the ONLY place I go for treatment and care. Thanks to all!”
- “I may know the staff as a friend or neighbor, but in their work they are always professional. We are so fortunate to have a hospital of this quality in our county.”
- “OR nursing staff – EXCEPTIONAL, great bedside manner, very courteous.”
- “Very good service – love small town hospital when they greet you by name and not a number.”
- “My experience with your facility was excellent. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. I have no complaints and definitely will recommend this hospital to anyone. We are lucky to have such a great facility in Cresco!”